The ransomware commonly known as Petya is currently sweeping across Europe and the UK. This high-profile ransomware attack is similar to – but more severe than - the WannaCrypt attack in May which affected hundreds of thousands of organisations around the world.
As part of our on-going commitment to cyber security at Alliance Solutions, we want to remind all our customers about the importance of good data security practices. To help protect your organisation against this dangerous new threat, we strongly recommend that you ask your employees to use extra vigilance in all their email communications. They should be instructed to:
- Be alert to the arrival of suspicious-looking emails in their inbox
- Open suspect email attachments with great caution
- Resist clicking on website links where the destination website is unknown.
Email attachments and links are the most common forms of vector in this ransomware attack.
Furthermore, if your IT infrastructure is not currently managed by Alliance Solutions, we strongly recommend that your IT team or incumbent provider should ensure that:
- All backups are current
- AV signatures are up to date
- Software systems are patched
- Staff continue to be aware of - and alert - to the dangers of ransomware and other forms of malware.
Alliance Solutions offer a range of security services that can help keep your organisation protected against cyber threats.
Contact us today on 0800 292 2100 for more information.